You can learn a lot from looking at statistics and that’s why it may be a good idea to take a look at your Twitter Analytics page now and then. I looked at my stats from September 2014 to May 2015 and learned a few things like:
- Average engagement rate is decreasing
- I have been tweeting a lot less in the last five months compared to last fall
- I get a lot less link clicks now than in 2014
- The number of monthly retweets vary a lot from month to month
- Although I tweet less and engagement rate is decreasing, the average daily reach is actually increasing
I can now use this knowledge to improve my Twitter presence by trying to increase the number of tweets, improve the content so that it engages more people, include more links to increase link clicks for example. That is, if you think these are important numbers. The reason daily reach continues to increase is probably an effect of a continuous increase in followers.
The tweets with highest reach per month
Other interesting things that you can find in Twitter Analytics are for example the tweets with highest reach for the last few months. Some of my top tweets are in Swedish which is not surprising since about 80% of my followers are from Sweden.
May 2015: Instagram photo
Utsikt från toppen av Ullnabacken @ Ullnatippen https://t.co/at1tGK8kHO
— Hans Kullin (@kullin) 23 maj 2015
April 2015: News article
March 2015: Blog post
— Hans Kullin (@kullin) 6 mars 2015
Feb 2015: Blog post
Jan 2015: News article
”Selfie-Louise” om livet efter selfien http://t.co/HHy58aRDEK
— Hans Kullin (@kullin) 26 januari 2015
Dec 2014: News article
Nov 2014: Blog post
— Hans Kullin (@kullin) 14 november 2014
There are a few conclusions to be made from looking at these tweets.
- Inspiring images help your tweets get noticed and shared, but you may also reach out without images
- Getting retweeted by an influencer increases reach a lot
- Twitter cards for your blog posts or for news articles may increase engagement
- If the link you are sharing doesn’t use Twitter cards, it helps to add an image manually
- Hashtags on trending topics also help in getting reach
- Blog posts and news articles create a lot of engagement
Now take a look at your Twitter Analytics, you may learn a few things that could help you reach out to more people on Twitter.